For a small town, Carcoar has a diverse range of services available, including most importantly our own medical service, the Carcoar Medical Centre. We also have a quality aged care facility run by the community called Uralba, which has 22 beds covering a range of aged care needs, including important respite facilities. The Carcoar Post Office offers all the Australia Post products and services available. See the Connect page for community service listings.
Carcoar Post Office
- 1 Belubula St Carcoar
- T: (02) 6367 3077
Stocking a large range of Darrell Lea and Australia Post products.
Monday – Friday
8:30am – 5:00pm
Carcoar School of Arts
- Icely St, Carcoar NSW 2791
- T: 02 6367 3125
What a great hall for Weddings, Parties, anything. Picture Theatre, venue for Artist’s weekends (pictured). Notable Mural depicting the old town. Carmanhurst Room is a great collection of War memorabilia.
For Bookings please phone Linda on 6367 3125
Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception
Parish Priest: Fr Timothy Cahill
In Coombing St, on the corner is the Church of the Immaculate Conception built in 1870. It has a slim stone bellcote and spire and retains its original cooling system which consists of wall cavities through which air passes into outlets in the window sills. Next door is the former convent (1874), now Shalom House of Prayer, built by the same architect.
Shalom House of Prayer
- Cooming St, Carcoar NSW 2791
- T: 02 6367 3058, 0418 206 296 Fran
Shalom was called into life in response to a prayerful insight received in October 1974 by Neville Bowers who, with his wife Helen, was co-founder. “Go to Carcoar, re-open the old convent, and make it a place where people can come and establish or renew their relationship with God”. Discernment revealed the lived out vision of the House of Prayer: The “old convent” was Mount St. Joseph, later known as St. Mary’s Academy, built in 1874 and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy – providing ongoing education until its closure in 1969.
Six years later, on January 18th 1975, Neville, Helen and their family established Shalom, the Bathurst Catholic Diocesan House of Prayer, under the authority of the Bishop of Bathurst. For many years, people came to discover the charisms of peace, acceptance, hospitality and the felt presence of the God of love.
Shalom House of Prayer is now a living and growing community. Renovations continue thanks to the generous efforts of our friends as we endeavour to provide a welcoming space for those who come.
St Paul's Anglican Church
Parish Priest: The Rev. Anastasia Webster-Hawkes
Up the hill in Collins Street is St Paul’s Anglican Church, a small Gothic Revival structure, also designed by Edmund Blacket. It was built of brick and sandstone with a slate roof between 1845 and 1848, making it the second-oldest church west of the Blue Mountains. The unusual crossing tower and steeple date from 1874. The interior is essentially in original condition, including the brick sanctuary floor, the sandstone font and the family pew of original European settlers, the Icelys.
Church Services at St Paul’s, Carcoar:
1st Sunday of the month at 8:00am
Saturday before the 3rd Sunday of the month at 5pm, followed by drinks, nibbles and socialising.
Uralba Retirement Village
Quality, affordable, accessible, available and accredited permanent and respite care for the Aged and Disabled in our community.
Uralba has respite beds available, and has recently added a new wing to increase its capacity to serve the community.
All enquiries welcome to the Manager Di Southcombe.