Due to its status as one of Australia’s most intact historic villages, Carcoar has many organisations that look after the village and its heritage. Residents of the village and the region work tirelessly on these committees, and welcome new blood. If there is an aspect of the village and its abundant assets that appeals to you, please take a look at the information below, or contact Andrew Baulch for general advice on 02 6367 3290
Carcoar and District Historical Society Inc.
The Carcoar and District Historical Society was founded in the early 1960s and became an incorporated organisation in 1989.
The Society owns Stoke Stable Museum in Naylor Street, Carcoar. In 1994 the Society was gazetted as Manager of the Carcoar Historic Reserve Trust which includes Carcoar Court House, designed by colonial architect James Barnet and opened in 1882. This is the second Court House on the site, the previous building dating to1850.
The Society conducts guided tours of historic Carcoar for coach and special interest groups. Bookings are required. Walking tour maps of Carcoar are available free at Enterprise Store and at Stoke Stable museum and Carcoar Court House.
The public are invited to inquire about family history and local history and heritage at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Stoke Stable and Carcoar Court House Museums are open from mid morning to 4.00pm on weekends, Public Holidays and by arrangement on other occasions.
Contact the Society for more information about activities, events and membership.
Carcoar Hospital Museum Committee
- Eulamore St, Carcoar NSW 2791
- T: 02 6367 3056, 6367 5068, 6367 3172
Carcoar Hospital was one of the earliest colonial hospital buildings in Australia. Built to the design of Architect Edward Gell, the foundation stone was laid in 1860, funded by community fundraising with Government Assistance at a cost of £2,400. The museum is one of the oldest and most fascinating hospital museums in Australia, including a fully equipped operating theatre.
Open Thursdays, by appointment or as advertised.
The committee meets once a month and would welcome new members keen on preserving this wonderful piece of history.
Carcoar P A & H Society (Carcoar Annual Show)
The Show Society organise the Annual Carcoar Show, which is often referred to as the “Best Little Show in the Country”.
The Show is always the last weekend in October
In 2017 this means October 28th and the show will incorporate no fewer than 5 horse rings, and is one of the very last qualifying events for the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
For all enquiries regarding entries, stalls, etc, please contact the Secretary.
Carcoar Post Office
- 1 Belubula St Carcoar
- T: (02) 6367 3077
Stocking a large range of Darrell Lea and Australia Post products.
Monday – Friday
8:30am – 5:00pm
Carcoar Village Association
Carcoar Village Association looks after the renowned Australia Day celebrations in Carcoar and is an important body in overseeing the development of the Village of Carcoar.
President: John Burke – 6367 3288
Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception
In Coombing St, on the corner is the Church of the Immaculate Conception built in 1870. It has a slim stone bellcote and spire and retains its original cooling system which consists of wall cavities through which air passes into outlets in the window sills. Next door is the former convent (1874), now Shalom House of Prayer, built by the same architect.
School of Arts Community Hall Carcoar Inc.
- Icely St, Carcoar NSW 2791
- T: 02 6367 3125
What a great hall for Weddings, Parties, anything. Film screening capability, venue for Artist’s weekends (pictured). Notable Mural depicting the old town. Carmanhurst Room has a great collection of War memorabilia.
For Bookings please phone Linda on 6367 3125
St Paul's Anglican Church
Up the hill in Collins Street is St Paul’s Anglican Church, a small Gothic Revival structure, also designed by Edmund Blacket. It was built of brick and sandstone with a slate roof between 1845 and 1848, making it the second-oldest church west of the Blue Mountains. The unusual crossing tower and steeple date from 1874. The interior is essentially in original condition, including the brick sanctuary floor, the sandstone font and the family pew of original European settlers, the Icelys.